Originally Posted by Anonymous
t
Originally Posted by CageSage
Found the following embedded in your previous response.

To inflict a penalty( not helping or worse purposely hurting a recruit) in retaliation for the perceived commission of an offense ( being critical) is punishment.
Offering recruiting help is not something that we have seen on any club's recruiting flyer to date. BOTC believes that too many lacrosse families are relegating this role to the club directors which is leading to this idea of punishment and retaliation. Parents are expecting a service which was never explicitly promised.

The fact is that unless you signed something with your club that said that part of your tuition was being directed towards recruiting support, this is likely something not guaranteed. Therefore, a player cannot be "punished" by not receiving a service not promised.

Our solution here is quite simple : Let the club director's run their clubs and the right support for your child will flow. If you are unhappy with your club (which should be known well before the recruiting ages), find another option.

Parents are always the best advocates for their children. Direct that effort to guiding a college communications campaign with your child rather than working over the club coaches.

So I guess a coach cannot use playing time as a punishment because you never signed something in regard to playing time. The actual fact is if your club is not doing something to help you with the recruiting process your club is failing you.Further if a coach or club owner does nothing to help a child because they do not like something about that kids parent they are punishing that child
Truth is the club is helping you by selecting you to lay for the club and allowing you to represent them in front of college coaches at tournament. Wether the coach/director tells you if a college asked about your player is not part of any contract, for any club on L.I. Most coaches will tell the player, and say something nice, but the leg work must still be done by you. You sound like one of those parents that think your responsibility/ work ends when you sign the check. Unless your kid is a blue chip (and I'm sure you think your kid is, but isn't) your kid has to send e-mails, make phone calls , make visits, and attend camps/clinics.

Exactly...and these parents will blame the coaches and directors for wherever their kid doesn't end up. They'll throw some blame on the HS coach too, why not?

I always considered the recruiting process as a marketing scheme with my kid as the product. That's essentially what you're doing, selling a coach on your kid. My lax kid is my last, so I've done this in three different sports now. I never expected the club coaches to do much other than vouch for my kid when asked. I've found the clubs do provide detailed guidelines of what sort of contact to make with prospective colleges and when, and also the NCAA guidelines by which the colleges must abide. The clubs did make calls when asked but not with the same urgency and persistance that would come from a athlete.

The whole recruiting process is incrediblly stressful all around, it just adds more agita to the already-present stress of choosing a college and maybe even a major. It's a lot.

I really dislike the whole "commit in 10th grade,' (or earlier!) aspect currently present in lax. Back in the aughts, my daughter's lax friends commited during the beginning of senior year, maybe the summer before. Normal. Now, six years later, it's a completely different landscape and not for the better, IMO. But that's a rant for another day.