Originally Posted by Anonymous
In a perfect scenario there would be qualified adult coaches without personal interest ( a daughter or sister ) in the team who would start with a team early at its inception and see it through till the end.

I don't think any club has this to any great extent, the YJ would certainly be in the forefront of this. The TG would be well served if they invested in better coaches and moved away from the college kid formula.

It's hard to turn down money but I also believe there should only be two teams per age group, keep it smaller concentrate on the kinds who make these teams, get them better. If an atmosphere is created where demand for a spot is greater than the 50 available spots the cost for entry to the club could increase and high pay given to those "top" adult coaches without a personal interst in the team

Just my .02 cents

Even with the above, I am still a big supporter of the club and I have had nothing but a Great experience with the club and the directors....

Take a look at M&D's website, it's exactly what you are describing. Only two teams at each age and every one is coached by a HS coach, many of the assistant coaches are HS coaches too. The model can and does work. I don't think college kids are necessarily bad coaches but you lack coaching continuity through the kids years at TG. I assume the problem is they cost more.

Most, if not all the M&D kids attend 20K/year private schools/lax factories coached by the same people and money is not an object for them - the coaches are getting paid one way or the other on both ends (club & school), I know that you would be happy to pay twice what it currently cost if this model was used here, but most people don't see it that way

Look at the site, about $2000/year HS, $1800 MS/Elementary for a full fall and summer schedule. You say you pay half (900-1000) per year, dues plus tourney fees including 4-5 fall tournaments? I don't think so....and they play in better tournaments too. Check out Skywalkers, Steps, Capital, etc...they all do the same thing. Sounds like you prefer it this way.