Originally Posted by Larry Miller
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Only the very top girls are ever going to pay back on their investment. For everyone paying 4 grand or so a year for 8 years people are in for $30-$40 thousand.

Now my kid is getting looks from $55,000 a year schools offering $7,000 a year to play lax. That's still $48,000 a year!!!

Pay for tutors instead of personal "wall ball training" and go to Stony Brook or Binghampton

Let me take this post a bit further. I agree with this post, and to look deeper, parents need to understand that colleges and universities are businesses and not in the business of giving away money.

Lacrosse, soccer, and other sports are revenue producing sports for these institutions like basketball and football. Big time scholarships are very rare. partials are not worth taking if the school's academic rank is out of the top 50 IMO.

My youngest had two full scholarships for soccer and we turned them down because non of those schools came close to Duke where she was accepted.

The choice for her education between Duke or "P on U" was a no-brainer!!

Larry made the same choice we did (but we didn't get a Duke). We turned down weak academic schools AND weak lacrosse schools that were offering BIG CASH. The problem is on these travel club sidelines everyone is trying to 1 up each other, my daughter made black, My 8th grader got called up to varsity, my 9th grader committed.... after boasts like these, those are the parents that feel they MUST have their kid play in college. Go to Duke, cash in that academic money that is available to all and play college club lacrosse.

No employer will care that you graduated from APEX TECH as a 4 year starter on the lax team, except on of these club teams that will hire you are a gloried summer counselor!