Originally Posted by Anonymous
Seconding the above points, with the popularity of lacrosse in Northern Virginia, I have been surprised at the competitiveness (less than expected) of clubs there other than MadLax at youth levels. Doesn't appear like anyone up there other than Madlax could compete with 757 Select, for example, out of Norfolk/Tidewater. Is it just too many clubs? Do rec leagues start later (say 3rd grade, versus kindgarten)? I would think the population would easily support several other A teams, even if not another AA team. Not trying to be negative here - it's just a little puzzling.

It is baffling to me too. Every time a new club starts there is a honeymoon period to really build something or just get cast off with the many other also ran programs. To Madlax credit, it must be hard and take a lot of work to get and to keep elite youth teams going every year. Maybe 3d will win big given they are well funded and organized, It isn't a NOVA program but Bethesda Lacrosse Club (BLC) has really blown up and has a ton of kids and some top youth teams. Maybe Cavalier or Freedom can pick up some momentum. It makes no sense that another club can't get it going at a AA level n youth.