Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes, maybe I am. BTW, did you play college and make All-American? Just me asking. I did. Maybe that makes me less the expert, which is fine. That's just my assessment. There are a lot of good players in those three programs in 2016 and 2017. More than 4 on any team I see any realistic chance of ever seeing the field? No. Club lacrosse has basically become a headhunting firm business getting these kids college jobs. I don't volunteer coach anymore for high school club teams. None of the players were interested in building skills, they and their parents just wanted to know if I could call coaches for them. 20 kids on every team think they're D1 in 9th grade. It's a joke.

Amen. As a parent on the sidelines at recruiting events I have personally seen my sons coach really "hyping " a particular player to a D1 program head coach and this player was good and a good athlete but not great and not better than several other kids on the team. It gave me a sick feeling. I actually wondered if money had changed hands. I know that sounds crazy. After the first half during which this "hyped" kid got a lot of playing time and essentially blew it, the coach walked over and said "well I guess my preview was a little off". I don't know whether the college coach was paying much attention to what the club coach was saying or not. I lost all respect for the club coach at that point. But this kid who is certainly good but not great ended up verbally committing to another D1 program within a couple of months. That is when I first realized that lacrosse recruiting is not necessarily based solely on merit. It will be interesting to see if this kid ends up actually playing for the program he committed to.