Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do programs like Dukes and Sweetlax ever practice except the afternoon before a tournament?

Is Blackwolf like them or does it practice 1-2x a week?

I tend to respect more the model where programs train kids from an early age. No, I don't think a trick zone defense and a bunch of set plays are what college coaches are looking for, but surely coaches prefer to see players play team man-to-man defense and players properly moving off-ball in a 2-3-1, 22 or 1-4-1 offense. Is a stud really going to be hidden within a simple team defense or offense? (That said, Danowski said in his clinic last week that Duke ends up recruiting individual stud defenders based on 1v1 play and has to teach them team defense. I don't think he said that in a good way - just that's how the system is right now. Again, though, I have a hard time believing coaches won't notice an ACC stud defender just because he's in a defense where folks know their 1st, 2nd and 3rd slides.)

I was more talking about the Offensive side of the ball. But when a team is playing a more 1v1 Off. it does showcase the other teams D pole better I would think. Like the Duke coach he can coach a scheme and its harder to teach skill and foot speed.