You need depth to win. Can't be a top program and just get through seasons running 4 middies into the ground and count on 2 LSMs, 1 quality FOGO, 1 quality goalie, 4 poles and 4 guys on attack. Injuries, kids dropping a non revenue sport to be a normal college kid / have a better social life / major in something hard like engineering where there are labs, etc. Then you have the laws of 1/2 the can't miss guys miss. The IAC, the WCAC, being a Crab or Madlax or whatever...those are kiddie pools compared to high level D1 sports. I get it that 6-7 kids get a fractional scholarship and then the last 4-6 get no money. I do think the mentality of, well if I can just find 4 kids who can play in every class that makes 16. A roster with 25-30 busts / practice players (assuming they don't quit) doesn't cut it. ER is a disaster. Getting 1 star a year means nothing if the talent and depth around the stars can't play. Look at UVA. They seem to get the unquestioned #1, 2 or 3 kid in each class and they sucked. 25+ kids on their team couldn't start at Tufts or Limestone. Doesn't cut it.