Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Has anyone here played in the Capital Box Lacrosse League or played with the Madlax North Stars team?

Son wants to play box, but plays for another club. I know North Stars is open to all, but I assume 99% of the kids are all Madlax kids? What is the quality of play and coaching?

The price is pretty steep -- wondering if it is worth it or not. He could simply be a free agent in the CBLL, which would be considerably cheaper ($195 vs. $1295). Thanks.

We don't play for Madlax, did the CBLL and didn't think it was worth it in the end. The rosters in the CBLL are huge, so playing time is very stretched for everyone. But yes, they have huge partisanship for the Madlax kids. The problem is the CBLL has a variety spectrum of abilities, so you have a lot of kids who really can't play. So that affects the ability to learn and play the box game when you some guys who can't catch and throw.

The North Stars thing is a huge amount of money. We didn't do it, but have Madlax friends who have. You get some cool swag, but it's basically a lot of money for some gear, practices and a couple tournaments. The Madlax teams haven't done very well because they go to serious box tournaments with teams who have kids who are very experienced in the game. Almost all the kids down here really don't have that much exposure and think it's the same game and it's not. So Madlax gets pounded.

I would have him play with his buddies wherever they are playing. We are going to stop playing indoor and just let him have fun playing basketball. I think it's too much lax to begin with from spring to fall.

THANK YOU for posting this. Absolutely refreshing to get a thoughtful response amid all the noise. From the sound of things, I'll probably hold out my son unless his club/hs fields a team.