Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not a competition, just stating pleased with VLC.

I am glad you are happy with VLC, I was more pointing to the guys bashing Madlax as a bad club and team. I just wanted to point out that Madlax as a club knows this team is lacking 24 elite players. And this is still the best place for the elite players not on Madlax now. The owner stuff if so over blown its nuts. I like to see parents put there kids in the best place to shine and be seen. Madlax is the still the best option. VLC is the second best option for sure. I just hate to see the elite players on those other 4 or 5 NOVA clubs missing the chance to play on the same field as the best in there class nation wide.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As a VLC parent, here is my take ...

Maddux runs a BUSINESS, and any parent looking at Madlax needs to understand he will put the BUSINESS ahead of anything else. Case in point - HoCo. He knows, his assistants know, every coach in HoCo or any parent who has actually played high level lacrosse knows 2020 is simply not Elite level talent. That isn't to say they can't get there; but right now they are AA talent. Period. End of story.

Given that Maddux runs his clubs as a business; he's worry about brand perception. So his choice was to not play HoCo for the simple fact that they would not get grouped in the Elite bracket. There was no consideration for the kids, parents or anything else. It was a business decision. You can spin it with play dates vs. competition, etc. etc. -- but don't lose sight that what drove that decision was in the best interest of Madlax, and nobody else.

Contrast that to VLC. VLC is a non profit organization, only carries one team per age group. The 2020 boys play in the AA division, where they should rightfully be playing. There is no pretense of we should be Elite, etc. etc. - the coaches know it, the players know it and the parents know it. They laid out a plan for growth ... the team is fairly new, limited practices/reps and new coach. The plan then would be to gel as a team, learn the new system of the new coach and get in as much quality competition/practice as possible. This not only includes playing HoCo AA, but increased practice time and outside scrimmages as well (example, this past weekend was vs. Leading Edge and Crabs). This is about the KIDS getting better as a TEAM and learning to play lacrosse. This all builds up to summer, where the team hopes to be playing at an "Elite" caliber level.

My opinion is Madlax did a disservice to the parents and kids on their 2020 team. If they follow the model of we only play "Elite" level competition cause we are too, parents/kids will be in for long days and a miserable summer (e.g. Looney's play day this past weekend - what did the kids learn from that?). Take those miserable moments and add in costs, and the calculus is fairly simple. Parents will get frustrated and kids will look for greener pastures. I know VLC lost some kids to Madlax this spring; won't be surprised at all if those kids try and come back. I have no doubt VLC tryouts this Fall will probably bring in even more kids this year; as eyes have been opened for the local NoVA clubs since everyone is playing in HoCo save Madlax.

I can not argue with any part of this post. You are 100% correct with what you say. I am not happy with what the owner did with 2020. As I stated 100 times the talent is not there or to spread out. And I do not think Madlax was prepared to have the top team not get the top talent or for the top talent to not be available.