I'm not shocked that kids who can't play D1 level lacrosse go anyways. That has always been the case. The only differences in the DMV now versus 10 years ago is there are a lot more kids playing, so more competition, and parents are having kids repeat grades once or twice to fight those tides.

Eventually one of two things happens: lacrosse alienates average kids from middle or lower income families away from the sport or the tides wash out the DMV privileged kids. What I do see is that club lacrosse is definitely at the edge of the second where parents who just can't pump thousands into clubs, showcases, etc. and see writing on the wall that if you don't there isn't hope. So unfortunately there is a real risk that lacrosse goes backwards to being a prep school oriented sport that is also a college sport...like crew or another preppie sport that disfavors broad participation. My oldest is now an upperclassman in high school and the attrition from his club team was mostly kids who were really good athletes who turned their focus to football or another sport because they saw a college possibility being greater there. That makes sense since the opportunities are more abundant in those other sports as well.