Originally Posted by Anonymous
https://recruitingrundown.com/commitment-center/2018-commitments/

The following lists the 2018 class by clubs and I do not think the facts fit this narrative. You say we as parents really just need a confirmation that the club is top 25? "MadLax in my opinion is top 25." Does that work? I think rankings as they relate to recruiting however is a far different story. I know several college coaches and they are interested in recruiting players and not clubs. Parents should consider what they want or expect from a club carefully. In my opinion coaches do not go to tournaments not to "find" players but to watch a player they are already interested in. This interest in generated by a recommendation, a camp, or in most cases a player can email the coach directly. Even with the new rules it does not violate the rule for a player to email a coach and let them know "I am very interested in your program here is my summer schedule." With the limited resources, coaches do not want to waste time go after a player that is not interested or not a good fit for the school. If a player shows interest and is at the right tournament they will go and watch them play. This is where the club should be considered carefully. If a player is a third tier player on a strong club v. a star player on another club will this help or hurt? I see in many cases players choose a a club but they are there to help other players get recruited. It is fun to be on a top rated club but it may not be the best way to get recruited if you are a third attack or second line middie. Then again maybe that is exactly what the coach is looking for. There are some clubs with multiple recruits because they attract great players. The numbers do not support the idea that getting on a top 25 club is a sure fire way to recruitment.

I think I understand your thoughts on recruiting. I agree its better to start on club ranked #25 and turn down the spot to be the 5th attackman on club ranked #4. I really like the point you made that our sons should be emailing all the schools still they want to play for. Even if they can not write you back tell sept 1st.
But I guess my question to you is my son has been offered 5th attackman spot on team ranked #25 or he can be a starter on club ranked #45 or lower? What should I do?

Another large factor in this guessing game is what is the size and speed of your son. My thoughts are if he is larger and really fast he can play for club ranked #70 and still go D1. But what is your thoughts on the best plan for a High IQ, high skill but smaller slower player? I would say this player needs to go for the highest ranking club he can get. He will have to prove he can play with the best players in front of the scouts as many times as possible. I would even say this kid should take the 5th attackman spot on the top team.

And why I got you here what are your thoughts on the committed kids skipping tournaments as related to the kids uncommitted on his team. I have heard two ways to look at it. The committed kid not being there gives another kid playing time to be seen. Or the other thought is when the committed kid skips the tournament in theory the team will do worse and the scouts will watch another game.