Originally Posted by Anonymous
Broadly speaking 2020s and below won't be half the players 2012 or 2014 kids were regardless of club. Club lacrosse doesn't focus enough on developing players with fundamentals or team play. It is a really ugly sport at the youth level now. When people point to 7th and 8th grade kids who are the next college recruits now, I just laugh. The level of play has gotten so bad I am amazed that the recruiting has followed it this far down.

Says the bitter old man. Kids attend more clinics, camps, and practices then ever. This is a fact. How can baseball people say the youth has never been better coached and skilled. But lacrosse which is getting larger with tons more camps and practices are worse? I think you have just lost your prescriptive because your son is older. These kids play more then ever. You can argue they will get burned out or have over use injury's but to say they are less skilled is crazy. And to talk about playing a team game. I will use a basketball analogy. Any college coach knows he can take a kid with a great jump shot, dribbling, size and speed, and teach them the Princeton O. But the skills from playing as much as these kids only comes with this much time put into it. I would argue that using complex and detailed plays with youth hurts them more then helps. Because these plays get a kid wide open. And these kids do not learn to beat a man one on one. Or play a two man game. The help you win the 11U Championship but does it make those kids skills better I would say no. I agree they have to learn to pass more and see the slides. But the better teams do teach to pass more and see the double teams. The D1 game is about beating a man one on one. Or seeing the slide. This is not a hard game do not try to make it one.