Originally Posted by Anonymous
My comment on the youth teams are spot on. The U-11 program was a debacle that was shut down, and the current U-13 and U-15 teams strain to hang on at the AA brackets, and often play A brackets now to be competitive. Full disclosure: I had a kid play on a VLC U-13 team, he was not one of their best players on a so-so team and we moved to MadLax and are happy.

The VLC 2015 team is terrific, and the VLC 2017 team is too. As U-15s this 2017 VLC team won the Delaware MVP and has some first flight players including four players already weighing ACC offers. They have unquestionably the best attack player, the best midfielder and the best goalie in the area all of whom also go to Landon and are weighing offers from every top D1 program right now, so look out for that high school team in years to come.

But let's not confuse two high school teams with a youth program. At the youth level VLC has some work to do.

You have a myopic viewpoint based on your son's experience. The VLC 2017 team was terrible two years ago, and that team did a complete 180 in one year. So your opinion is based on the current fortunes of two teams, both of which could be completely different in a season or two. Though you are right that the current VLC youth teams are not worldbeaters, you are examining too small a sample size to make a blanket statement about VLC's youth effort.

Both VLC youth teams are much improved this fall. Given the impact of the Deadspin article and upcoming Washingtonian article about the Madlax founder, expect that trend to continue as the Crabs put more focus on the VLC youth program.

Glad to hear Madlax is going well for your son. I guess the founder's treatment of players (yes, he has done the same thing to many players) doesn't bother you.

As for your assessment about VLC 2017's players, it is not only creepy, but incorrect. To say that all three of them are "weighing offers from every top D1 program right now" is completely false. Further, not all of the players you listed are indisputably the best in the area.