MThart boys will reach their adult height before their 16th birthday. They will continue to "fill out" for a few more years. Kind of like a puppy at 6 months. As for emotional, some are mature at 15 some will not mature till 30, or maybe never. Academically, you will have a VERY good idea what type of student you are dealing with by the end of Freshman year. Kind of like having a VERY good idea what type of lacrosse player the kid is by that same time. Not saying their aren't exceptions to all my points, just stating on average. [/quote]

Trusting the AMA and NIH, you are correct. Over 93% of boys are their mature height by and of 16th year. Isn't that when they are HS Spring sophomore or Fall juniors? Or when they are supposed to be without the sissy repeat grade stuff. That said, the highest rate of male muscle mass add is between 16 and 19. At 19 the non-vertical growth plates (rib cage) mature. That is when they are entered in college again assuming that the kid is not a grade repeater. In terms of maturity, I don't acknowledge your point at all. 14 year olds want to commit to Ohio State because the play on ESPNU and have cool uniforms. Or at least my 14 year old did. If after private schools he went to Ohio State I would just as soon jump off a bridge.

Yes, there is such a thing as a talented and smart 14 year old. Hard stop. They are just kids and and no way are mature in any of the ways you assert except for the point about being a smart/good student. At this point I know my oldest is a great student and my youngest is not. What is between your ears does not extrapolate to the physical or the maturity factors.