Originally Posted by Anonymous
Thanks much for your very helpful reply. One more question, when should a kid start going to these showcase events - sophomore year? Freshman? My son is in 8th grade.

To be candid, I really believe the most important thing is to be on a good club team that plays in good club tournaments in the Fall of 9th grade. Then prospect camps and perhaps some showcases to supplement as needed as a rising 10th grader. In my opinion early recruiting is an instance of club coaches full court pressing kids out with the enthused parents who are antsy to get 'er done, and not so much the dressings of the showcases.

Much is made of the JR camp for rising 9th graders, and frankly I think that is off the mark and is mostly 3d touting it's own. In truth 3d is a marketing organization and they work every assistant coach of D1 programs like a puppy looking for a leg to pee on. JR used to be a big deal, and I really don't see that being the case anymore. When my oldest son (now a senior) went as a rising soph he was one of 120 kids in his class. What is JR now? 2x120 slots in Summer and another JR thing in the Fall? That is really watering down the elite of the elite cache because it no longer exists for JR and believe me NCAA coaches concur.

Showcases can be a selective good thing, particularly if you are a non-hotbed area family on a club team that is not going to Crabfeast, King of Hill and Delaware MVP which are the Holy Trinity of highest end Summer tourneys. It is these three that the NCAA head coaches flock to.

Generally agree with all of the above - particularly Jake Reed at this point. Would add the NSCLA tournament to the Crabfeast, King of Hill and Delaware MVP tournaments. Also, I believe Maverick has become the top individual showcase and Black Card Showcase (now NSCLA Showcase, no longer affiliated with Adrenaline) have become increasingly important. Lastly, agree prospect days are a good use of time as long as there is some degree of interest shown by the school ahead of time and it is a school you think you child is potentially interested in.

My son went to Showtime last year after getting a recomendation from his HS coach. He did not do any other recruiting events or play for an elite travel team. He is a good player and made the "all star" team. Follwing the camp offers from almost every top program started to pour in as the coaches called our HS coach asking us to call them. My son had his pick. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to do all this traveling and spending big$$ Prospect days are a waste of money unless the coach personally invites you and there is already prior interest. I'm saying this because I know kids that have gone to these and nothing came of it. Good luck to all!