Originally Posted by Anonymous
The debate of multi sport athletes is ridiculous. I was just making it clear what the coaches in college are looking at. It isn't solely about skills or individual sports. Quite simply when I had a choice between two equally talented players, one who was a two sport athlete and one a singleton athlete , I choose the two,sport athlete IF it was a sport I felt contributed to athleticism. The concept being that the two sport athlete is usually better ll around athlete developing muscle and muscle memory in greater depth then a single sport athlete. This is not hard to believe or comprehend. That is not to say that an athlete that played the single prt wasn't better than the multi sport but as a college coach you also need to project futures because your scholarship space is limited. It isn't an easy job but ask the d1 coaches what their feeling on it and the majority will encourage the multi sport athlete. I never recruited inner city basketball players becaus they didn't have the skill set I needed for the sport I coached nor did I go to Brazil to get soccer players. Even more insight is that the two sports must be related in some way developing certain skills. Individual sports like bowling or golf didn't translate but wrestling did it really isn't an exact science but a valid way to project athletes. To say a multi sport athlete isn't an advantage is contradicted be the rosters and bios of many many athletes in d1 programs in all sports.

Nobody cares that you were a volunteer assistant coach 20 years ago. You're just another lunatic on this board.

My favorite response by far smile. It wasn't volunteer and it wasn't twenty years ago but as I have read so many times on this board if you don't agree with someone insult them. Funny, is I never claimed to be right, never insulted anyone , never said anything negative but was consistently told how I am wrong. Never actually claimed to be right. Made some simple factual statements on how the recruiting process went and what the staff I was part of were looking at. You can agree or disagree but open your eyes and try to look at both sides. There is always the exception to every rule and single sport athletes can be great dominant athletes in their sport no doubt. But there is validity in the two sport athlete. Anyone who doesn't think a superior athlete like Lebron wouldn't pick up a lacrosse stick and be a competitor immediately is crazy. The stick skills would be lacking because that is sport specific but once he became competent his previous learned basketball training, vision, muscle memory and team sport iq would make him a great player. If I had a chance to get a Lebron James type over an equally talented lacrosse only player being they both played lax I would pick Lebron. Good luck to you all and may all your children be given the opportunity to play some college sport whatever it is. I am going to enjoy my day watching some lacrosse after I drink my morning coffee and head to the fields.

And just think how much better Lebron would be at hoops if we was spending time playing lacrosse. Maybe they could have gotten by the spurs.