Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
The issue becomes Timmy Reclassified gets a spot at Virginia - Tommy CorrectGrade goes to St John's (no - I am not putting St John's down there are few schools that are Virginia - just using it as a D1 Lax program)...who has the head start on a job interview? They gamed the system and it worked out - do they have to live with it - well I guess this is not the first game or system they manipulated so yeah, they will live with it, and after a UVA education and alumni connections, i would guess pretty well - so yes people are going to get upset
The alumni network conversation is a good one; this is a topic that we often discuss with families who are wondering what the value of a $50,000/year private institution might be over a $20,000/year state school or anything that ranges in the middle.

There are other points to consider in your example which only an individual family can adequately answer:
  • Timmy at Virginia struggles academically and graduates with a 2.8 GPA. Tommy at St. John's handles the lacrosse and academic balance with a 3.7 GPA. Who gets the nod if both are applying for the same job?
  • Timmy loved his time at UVA, but wants to return to the Northeast and settle in the New [lacrosse] tri-state area. What is the value of the UVA alumni network beyond Washington DC?
  • Tommy decides to quit lacrosse after two years to concentrate on a dual major. Academics can qualify for an additional discount at St. John's. Did he need lacrosse at all in his portfolio?
  • Due to lacrosse, Timmy needed an extra semester to complete his studies with the year-'round training load. If you look over four years, did the lacrosse scholarship really save anything?
This list of counter and counter-counter examples is longer than the Point-Counterpoint Segment on 60 Minutes. Our points are that when considering an institution, alumni network strength, long-term location, and financial considerations for athletics and academics are all part of the eventual equation.

University of Virginia is a State School and and is considerred to be a Top 25 School.

St Johns University is a Private School and is ranked around 125.

The cost is about the same for both schools unless you are a resident of Verginia.

I think that given the choice I would select Verginia every time.

Agreed, however the original point is that some kids might not get the UVA offer because a cheating holback is going instead.

So by your definition of a cheating holdback - do you consider the top lax schools as cheaters? I was just wondering because most, if not all, have kids that enter into their freshman year a whole year (or 2) older. Therefore, by your definition, you seem to be under the impression that starting this year with the class of 2017, these very same schools will be interested with kids that are, by your definition, a year (or 2) younger then the cheater holdbacks? I got news for you. NOTHING has changed with regard to taking the older kids. Many have stated that the holdbacks are taking our kids spots. Newsflash! Educate yourselves and do the research. Schools just aren't interested in 17 yr old freshman. Check out the rosters at these top schools and look up the birth dates. But mostly, just stop whining that it's not fare and stop acting like a victim.

Put down the afternoon beers... You're all over the map. What point are you actually trying to make??? Wow, I hope your wife is smart, because your intellect is not going to help your little Rabil.