Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son went to Showtime last year after getting a recomendation from his HS coach. He did not do any other recruiting events or play for an elite travel team. He is a good player and made the "all star" team. Follwing the camp offers from almost every top program started to pour in as the coaches called our HS coach asking us to call them. My son had his pick. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to do all this traveling and spending big$$ Prospect days are a waste of money unless the coach personally invites you and there is already prior interest. I'm saying this because I know kids that have gone to these and nothing came of it. Good luck to all!

Good point about the prospect camps, however, they all aren't created equal. For instance, here is the college lineup for the camp at UNC this weekend (from their website):

2014 College Coaches in Attendance:
University of North Carolina
Duke University
University of Virginia
Penn State
Ohio State University
US Military Academy
Fairfield University
John Hopkins University
Princeton University
Brown University
Bucknell University
Hofstra University
Providence College
University of Denver
University of Michigan
University of Maryland College Park
High Point University
Georgetown University
Dartmouth University
Harvard University
Furman University
Loyola University
Marquette University
Quinnipiac University

This is a great lineup and open to anyone, provided you sign up before the attendance limit is reached. This is just as good or better than a showcase and a special invite isn't needed.

The recruiting game is far from static and players/parents need to evaluate all potential avenues.