Originally Posted by Anonymous
The below is from Tier1athletics.org - I have no idea the accuracy but from friend of mine with kids going through this it sounds pretty accurate, This is also interesting because it is not about lacrosse but about Ivy League recruiting,

"Interpreting the Academic Index Number for Ivy League Athletes"

We’re treading on dangerous ground here so I suppose I should start this with a big disclaimer. The number that you have calculated using the Academic Index calculator should only serve as a general guideline to help you plan your recruiting. Hitting certain numbers does not mean that you are assured of admission since many different factors go into determining admissibility.

The Academic Index is really a tool to evaluate large groups (teams, overall athletic cohort and entire student body.) That said, I think it’s helpful to be able to see where you stand in relation to other students and athletes.

Below are my interpretations of the strength of different AI ranges. These are based on interviews, articles and statements, but you should not consider them to be any sort of official guideline or standard.

Under 176
An Academic Index under 176 is below the minimum generally required to be recruited in the Ivy League.

177-190
I would classify AIs in this range as “possible”, but weak. Nationally known, big-time recruits in high profile sports may be okay with an AI in this range.

191-200
We’re getting closer to the comfort range. This is still on the weaker side, but scores in this range may be adequate for highly desirable athletes in certain programs.

201-210
This equates to about 1850 -1900 combined SAT and 3.5 unweighted GPA and should put a recruit on fairly solid academic footing. Teams that tend to attract kids with stronger academics may want a little bit more.

Over 210
This is really where you want to be. With an AI over 210, I think it’s pretty unlikely that academics will be a deal killer in your athletic recruiting.

Does anyone know how the AI is calculated? Looks like a combination of GPA and test scores but not sure about the calculation. Is there an AI calculation for ACT test takers?

AI is based on 3 criteria which are worth 80pt each for a highest total of 240
Part 1
(( SAT writing+ SAT CR)/2 + SAT MATH/20 = AI
Part 2
Take 2 best scores from history bio and math and add them up and divide by 20
Part 3
Weighted GPA. 4.3 = 80 points 4.0 =77....

Then refer to above scales.

switch weighted for unweighted and include class rank

since many schools do not use class rank anymore they have gone GPA only and weighted only to account for honors classes and AP classes