Great post.

I saw this on US Lacrosse website today, under tab marked "Proof of Age":
US Lacrosse is currently developing a comprehensive Age Verification program. Until the program has been fully developed this system is for event participation purposes ONLY.

If you are the parent of a PLAYER who is currently registered to participate in an event then please submit your Proof of Age using the tool below.

Tips to Uploading Proof of Ages:

•Proof of ages accepted are birth certificate, passport or state issued ID with a valid birthdate listed.
•File should not be more than 2MB in size
•You know your file has been uploaded correctly when a date appears in the “DATE ADDED” column

Once you have uploaded your Proof of Age documentation, it may take as long as 48 business hours to validate. A confirmation email will be sent once the proof of age has been validated.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact the Constituent Services Center at 410.235.6882 #102, or send us an e-mail at events@uslacrosse.org, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. est.

If enforced, it may resolve age related concerns at the youth level. There's hope, but, as always, it's the details...

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do you really think that if you moved the recruiting deadline back to the summer before your senior year, you would all of a sudden remove all stress and pressure to perform throughout high school? Whether it's an early commit having to work hard to live up to expectations or it's a freshman working hard to get noticed, the kid has to work hard no matter what if he wants to play D1 ball. He has to work just as hard in the weight room, on the field and in the classroom, with or without a commit. A true athlete is always pushing himself, commit or not. So sorry, I don't buy your argument that early recruiting is detrimental due to pressure.

It also seems like many people think that parents of early commits are complete morons who have no care whatsoever about their child's future. Do you really think they allowed their child to commit to UNC, UVA, Bucknell, etc., without thinking about programs, fit, money, and so on? Seriously? How could a kid commit to Bucknell and you suggest anything other than a kids academic long term future was considered? And most I'm sure, if not everyone of these 2017 commits, probably had more than one offer in front of them. So suggesting they jumped at the first school to offer probably isn't accurate either. And the reality is, there is only one way to curb early commits anyways, more scholarship money. It will never happen, but the reason basketball and football players can wait and take their time is that they know all offers are full. Sure, football coaches will offer freshman, but that's more to be able to say "Hey, we loved you from the start". Most commits are juniors and seniors. Basically, until the pie gets big enough that no one has to fight over the crumbs, people will continue to take the security for their children.

As for reclassifying, it's 50/50 whining and legit. Club ball should 100% age based, something akin to AAA hockey. But showcases should be grad based as kids do go to prep school and also start school late for various reasons. I do have to say I find it a bit odd that kids want to play varsity lacrosse as a freshman, or even 8th grader in some cases, but chooses to play below their age level during club ball. I know kids who have dropped down after reclassifying and unfortunately I think it stems their development. It's like playing in the back yard with a 5 year old, how much do you benefit from that? Yeah you look awesome, but did you get any better by toying with younger kids? Of course not. You could still grad when you want to, and look awesome at Jake Reed too, but also still get challenged during the summer and also keep things fair for those how spent thousands of dollars. It should be similar to hockey, age based minor hockey until junior. Some will go straight to college after high school at 18, others might play junior for a few years, whatever works for each individual.

That's my 2 cents…