Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This list of LI kids on Ivy rosters is indeed impressive. I think the point is a good one but the comparative is off. Lacrosse in Maryland is really two hotbeds. Obviously there is Baltimore County and the MIAA schools. Next there is the DC area that includes the Maryland and Northern Virginia burbs and the IAC schools (Landon, Gtown Prep, St. Stephens Agnes, etc.) and the parochial league (Gonzaga, Paul VI, etc.). If you look at the Ivy rosters again through this lens, you'll see quite a difference on some rosters, Princeton is most pronounced. Actually, the prep school with the most currently rostered players is Landon in Bethesda, MD which sits right on the Virginia border and has a lot of players from the other side of the Potomac.

I think one of the posters making something of a demographic or social difference between LI and Maryland is correct. I lived in Manhattan for a number of years and now live in Maryland. NY money is bigger and louder than Maryland. So are the parents. Yes, LI Express lunatic parents, that means you. Are Maryland people economically small time by compare? Yes. Are Maryland lacrosse players better or worse than LI players? No. Some of the best players we saw last Summer were not from either, and the best team last Summer at the most competitive tournament -- Young Gunz -- was Dukes from the Philly main line.

Md players are marketed better but much less productive at the next level.

Good points, all. Yet I have to object to the NY crowd being called louder lunatics.

. The lunacy is not that they/we are overly aggressive; it's that our kids usually have to come to the Maryland backyard to play in great tournaments and have to use higher level LAX skills to overcome the physically aggressive "reclassifieds" in order to compete.

Time and tie again, we see the frustration of the older and bigger Md players who are being outplayed by true 2017's who then must resort to overt aggression to compensate.

It does make for an angry and vociferous NY sideline who are pained to watch their kids get bashed by others who are potentially 2 years older in some cases.

Lunacy? Nahhh...just pissed off that the age discrepancy was and is allowed at that critical age.