Not saying helmet is something to worry about. The suggestion about helmet is less about the player and more about recognizing where you come from and returning a favor to the people who helped you. It is not the same as the neon sock situation you describe.

If you get into an event with help from a recommendation and are an all-star or MVP, or just play better than the defender or attackman standing next to you, you will get the question "Where did you get those skills?" the answer is on your helmet.

I am not suggesting the player owes anything to his club or HS, I am suggesting that recognizing your coaches is the right thing to do.

The chest thumping by 2017 club parents is providing insight to 2019-2023 parents as to where they should send their boys to develop.

Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Focus on going to some showcase/ prospect camps ... and wear your high school helmet.
Great advice about where to focus energy.

I think the helmet comment is an actual up in the air question. I've been told that whichever affiliation helped you along/recommended you for the showcase/camp it is that assocation that you should represent at the showcase.

If your club directors/coaches provided your Blue Chip recommend you should sport their colors when you attend. If it was your HS coach then wear HS colors.
Many years back, the Eastern New [lacrosse] State Soccer Association sponsored summer elite tournament teams which had a spring-time selection process. (These have since been overrun by year-'round club and premier teams.) Anyway, the tryouts for these teams were very competitive at the time and players would wear crazy neon socks and mismatched outfits just to stand out from the crowd. Bottom line : No one was ever selected based on their apparel.

Same argument applies here. Stop worrying about the name on the helmet and spend more time focused on the quality of play at these showcase events. The rest will indeed take care of itself. Lacrosse has a great advantage over many youths sports with individualized combine/showcases.