Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous

We began to get interest before Philly, I think that just gave the coaches a second time to see him play with kids his own age. Coaches noticed my son when he played in varsity tournaments last summer/fall. I supposed they saw that he could hold his own playing with kids as much as 4 years older. That's why all the whining you here on this site seems silly. I think playing against older kids actually helped my son. College coaches began to show interest by talking to our HS coach.

"We began to get interest before Philly, I think that just gave the coaches a second time to see him play with kids his own age." So, we are all whiners because we want our sons to play against fair age-based competition, yet it appears the determining factor for the coaches in your son's case was seeing him play against age-based competition.

Basically, your son playing with and against older boys was good practice (hard to argue with that). But, the determination of where he stands was made by a true age comparison.

I believe you just proved our point.

Maybe, I'm not really sure what the coaches are looking for. The way I see it, if a kid can only excel against kids his own age, what happens when he gets to college. Will he only be able to play as a senior? If you can step it up as a freshman on varsity, the future will probably be bright!