Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do most of you actually realize these commitments mean very little. Yes these 9th grade students most who are 15 and younger have three more years left to play lacrosse or decide that today's dream college is tomorrow's after thought. These children really have limited ability to realize what this decision means for their future. Until the financial paperwork is submitted and accepted be the university both sides could opt out. There is way too much time for these children to mature , decide perhaps they don't want to play, god forbid get hurt, fail classes the variables are many. If any of you think that any commitment you get now is concrete you are naive. When the perceived better player gets an offer your child can be bumped. This is not speculation but reality. With that said I hope everyone gets the opportunity their offered but until that child is enrolled anything can happen.

You do hopefully realize how petty and absolutely jealous you sound.
Is the above statement something you've had to tell you uncommitted child as he cries himself to sleep for not living up to your expectations? You must rain down on every achievement your kid has made....."hey dad; I made varsity".....that means so little now go do your homework. "Dad; I'm going to be valedictorian and Stanford is giving me a full academic scholarship". Big deal; show me a paycheck with 7 digits to start.

What a wet blanket you are Debbie Downer Dad!!!

Where is the jealousy exactly? Is it the comment that a 15 year old with three years to play shouldn't need to make a life decision at that time is that jealousy? Is the comment that a 15 year old really doesn't have the life experience to make that decision jealousy? Is saying that colleges do rescind verbal offers jealousy ? Or was my comment about hoping every gets the opportunity to follow their dream by getting an offer jealousy ? The other comments in my post are facts. Look it up verbals get rescinded all the time in the NCAA. It is a fact. I have nothing to be jealous about. My 2017 plays varsity and on a club has made some great friends, has been to tournaments and is pretty damn happy. When he is ready to decide where or what sport or what academic life he wants for himself we will sit down and talk it out. Once again I hope everyone gets the opportunity to follow their dream or wait is that the jealousy coming out.

Bottom line: do not assume that one year of growth will have any major impact on a student athlete's ability or inability to make life decisions. That is where parenting comes in. That is where family discussions and decisions are made.
You make it sound like these kids are out in the cold making every decision by themselves. Many can and will have the majority of say in the decision and their parents will hopefully be there to guide them. I contend that the majority of these elite players can in fact be very instrumental in the process. It takes a certain level of maturity and accumen to become an elite level player.

Can commits be rescinded? Sure; when a student athlete does not live up to the verbal contract that stipulates his or her obligations; it can and may be rescinded. But this he's true for any year during the commitment and even after a national letter of intent is signed.

But it is not all meaningless as you have purported it to be. You are just not on the committed side of the equation and this your bias is as such. When and if your son gets signed; you may have different opinions.