Turtles are at 10 committed,

3 Hopkins
1 UNC
1 Fairfield
2 Harvard
1 Bucknell
1 Duke
1 Maryland

Harvard is now permitting public verbals for rising sophs? It was a big no-no last year...apparently they had 6 or more non-public verbals in 2016 class. I actually don't see a commit list for Harvard 2016s where I looked. Not doubting it, but are the rules that there are no rules for 2017s and up? [/quote]

I have a 2017 player who to be clear is not a big Ivy lacrosse recruit, but is a student who could apply with good chances to be admitted. I also have a sister who married up to someone on Harvard's Board of Trustees. Turns out that my brother-in-law's conversations with the Admissions Dean at Harvard College went a little differently than this. No Harvard coach is permitted to designate spots to student athletes as high school entering sophomores or juniors. There is such a thing at Harvard as a "pressure list" of kids being recruited by sports teams at other institutions (this involves documented offers from other schools to merit acceleration), and these applications can be considered and admissions could be offered to a kid in September of their senior year. Further, the lacrosse coach at Harvard does not have spots to offer.

What Harvard lacrosse coaches can do for you is recommend admissions by way of a referral letter that goes into the admissions file for a candidate. Being committed to the admissions process means that a kid being recruited in a sport applies for admission and gets a letter of recommendation from the coach recruiting him, which has about the same weight as being a legacy or relative of a big donor which is our hope for Harvard.

Lastly, be careful Turtle Dads...don't think you are helping the "Smithtown FO guy to Harvard" or his family at all with the Daddy bragging, and you might have already done more damage onto the poor kid than you might imagine to be so. The Admissions people at Harvard didn't find it too amusing and have long memories. Aim high, and there isn't higher than Harvard. But remember that lacrosse is something the person who matters - the Admissions Dean at Harvard College - could not care any less about. [/quote]

Smithtown f/o is more of a stud in the classroom than on the lax field