Originally Posted by Anonymous
Maryland has had a couple already? I expect after these two camp's a lot if the school's will start making offers.

Maryland has done a few camps, but they have been stuff like dodging/shooting clinics. UMD has been more organized and has made more offerings to do these instructional things than other universities I am aware of. Good for business, and it also attracts kids preening for looks, so works out well for all. But their formal prospect camp is in January weekend after the UNC one. UMD has also been a lot less frantic on the early recruiting side, and that might not be a bad thing. UNC and UVA will soon fill up, and there are tons of great players everywhere to look at at I believe it is impossible for UVA or UNC to go on believing they have evaluated the playing field. Another clutch point to remember is that the West Coast Starz / Adrenaline guys are mostly ex-UMD players and have earned the coaches's ears at UMD. Along with Duke, I think UMD is the major program here that really does look for players in Texas, Chicago, Colorado, Florida and California before getting convinced the best are just the I-695 Baltimore to Towson drag exit kids. Look...every kid in Baltimore dreams of playing at Hop or UMD, but these two programs are taking a very different tack. Petro is sold on basically being Boys' Latin in drag and that is not a bad thing since that school is a lax factory producing very very good players consistently. UMD is not like that. Those coaches are very much of a mind they can find great players in San Diego, Dallas, etc. and just don't want to sign locals and call it a day. Hop is a great school, a better school than UMD. But if we are just talking lacrosse, look at what UMD has done in recent 3-5 years against Hop, and the results speak for themselves. UMD is doing it right and if there is room at their prospect day I would urge anyone to attend.