Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How are the dopes/losers the NCAA coaches? They are recruiting the best athletes many times in these cases they are the more physically developed players, they could care less what age they graduate HS, as long as they can get them wins. Thank you US Lacrosse for cow-towing to the Baltimore elite;you finally found a way to spread lacrosse,have kids outside of the tri-state area play down.

The coaches definitely know what's going on and they definitely don't care. Why should they? They aren't breaking any rules. You don't win games by standing on a principle.

However, whats troubling about some coaches is how they talk out of both sides of their mouths. They say they don't favor early recruiting, but don't do anything about it. They should simply not say anything. It's insulting. As a group they have the power to come together and influence the process, but there's no incentive for them to do so. The NCAA won't because it's governed by the schools.

Nevertheless, the chorus against early recruiting/reclassing is rising. Bill Tanton 's editorial in this month's Lacrosse Magazine spoke out against early commits and Quint has been vocal. Nothing may ever change, but the spotlight is becoming more focused.

I have to laugh at the chorus against early recruiting. One of my friends kids was one of the early recruits in question. The parents of this kid and the school are all very happy about it. The young man is having a great time on his high school team playing to win and not caring about his personal stats. So tell me what is so bad about that? He has no pressure and so he is working like heck to get good grades for the sake of learning? Anything wrong with that? The college is in constant contact and it seems like they are building a good relationship with their future recruit.

Frankly I think it is all about jealousy from the Maryland and US Lacrosse crowd because if you look closely most of the early recruits were from other areas.

If my kid were good enough to get an offer from a good college we would absolutely encourage him to take it.

By the way I hear from a lot of people that the coaches are also saving some spots on the back end for late bloomers. So it all evens out.