Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here's a potential problem with the very early commits we are seeing. The kids (and they are kids still) have an expectation both athletically and academically to continue to be a top prospect for the next 4 years of high school. Admit it or not, it is a lot of pressure for most to handle. When they leave high school the real pressure cooker starts. Division 1 athletics is a grind - and yes I know from personal experience. It is very rewarding but it is ultimately a full time job along with studies. So a kid who commits to a top school in 9th grade has 4 years that he has to "perform" because he is expected to as an early commit and then has to continue on an even bigger stage with better, stronger competition. Overall that's 8 years of a tough grind. I know some kids handle it fine, but I would think for others the idea of an early commit and "now I don't have to worry" is shortsighted. You have to ask yourself and your son " Are we committing just to say we committed or are we committing because the school, the program, the offer is everything we could hope for and more? Just one man's thoughts.

Really well thought out, I could not agree more. The "paper chase" of a D1 scholarship is fleeting. No matter what these kids need to keep their grades up because it is their grades that will determine where they go and BTW lots of these schools give more merit aid based on their grades than they may get from a 1/4 D1 scholarship.