Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can someone explain to me how a PG year works and the benefits? I guess similar to what Pannell did.

With Boarding it cost’s $57K to attend Deerfield, he then used this as a spring board to Cornell, Ivy league which doesn’t offer scholarships. Financially, do the families cover the full cost of PG with the expectation of an IVY education? I understand there are grants etc to help out with the tuition at Cornell but $57K is a lot to absorb just to get there. Anyone familiar with how the PG avenue works?

Yes, I went to a NE boarding school a generation ago. Then it was almost always athletes, mostly hockey players from Canada, who were recruited heavily by an Ivy but could not get through admissions. So spend a year at a prep school as PG and it would qualify the kid for Harvard, Cornell, etc.

I remember it being nothing about trying to be recruited as an athlete...the PG system was always a "academic boost" year for ringers who were already heavy recruits. The college coaches would steer kids to places like Deerfield and Deerfield sure didn't mind getting great hockey players who had a spot at an Ivy all but waiting for them.

So maybe things have changed, but back then it was not something to do to get noticed or have another stab at impressing coaches. It was all about getting hot recruits academically eligible. Also, the Canadians used to get close to full financial aid. Check the endowment for the likes of Deerfield and you will see what I mean. Some of these prep schools have enormous endowments and can give aid very generously when needed. So if your concern is dollars and you have a need, the aid will be there.