Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here's a potential problem with the very early commits we are seeing. The kids (and they are kids still) have an expectation both athletically and academically to continue to be a top prospect for the next 4 years of high school. Admit it or not, it is a lot of pressure for most to handle. When they leave high school the real pressure cooker starts. Division 1 athletics is a grind - and yes I know from personal experience. It is very rewarding but it is ultimately a full time job along with studies. So a kid who commits to a top school in 9th grade has 4 years that he has to "perform" because he is expected to as an early commit and then has to continue on an even bigger stage with better, stronger competition. Overall that's 8 years of a tough grind. I know some kids handle it fine, but I would think for others the idea of an early commit and "now I don't have to worry" is shortsighted. You have to ask yourself and your son " Are we committing just to say we committed or are we committing because the school, the program, the offer is everything we could hope for and more? Just one man's thoughts.

That is a very thoughtful post. Thank you. Also, look at the math from high above, which is hard to do if your family is in the throat of this stuff. Lacrosse has a 12.6 allocation of scholarships over about 45 roster spots. That is not too impressive and is a worse percentage than women's lacrosse and other NCAA sports. Seems to me the jackpot is getting admitted to a UPenn or the like. And for any kid and his family, I salute their accomplishment. But with the Ivy league schools, is that happening for a 2017? No. The kid is committing to apply for admission to UPenn in 3 years. I get that if he meets the requirements he will get in with certainty or more certainty than some other kid with near perfect grades, and that is a great win. I would say that if a kid is in distress to perform well to meet the UPenn standard in 3 years, he has less a stress and uncertainty if he does meet them when he gets there if the lacrosse coach wants him. That is nothing compared to the stress and uncertainty of the zillion perfect kids out there with perfect grades and student leadership activities who will compete for finite spots among perfect kids in 3 years.