Originally Posted by Anonymous
Back to the inner city Basketball player, plays BBall 24/7 all year round. Many do 1 or 2 years in college and straight to the NBA. By your assertion, the mult-sport athlete is the better athlete. If this is the case, why aren't the multi-sport athletes from the suburbs destroying it in the NBA? Why, because it has nothing to do with playing multiple sports, it has everything to do with innate athletic ability. All the baseball and football you can play will never allow your kid to do what Lebron does. Just like no amount of football will ever give you better stick skills... Sorry. You just can't accept it. Look, you have your kid play football in the fall, mine will be in the gym. Try to comprehend this, if your son is a star running back, it's about athletic ability not because he plays lax in the spring. He'll be good at lax in the spring, because of that athletic ability and only because of that.
You think Michael Phelps became the greatest swimmer of all time because he played a year of HS golf? I'm sure you do. BTW what was the sport the Williams sisters played to get better at Tennis?
Hold on, I have to go play two hours of basketball to better my golf game. So silly.

You are truly ignorant. Go look at the Duke roster 38 of 44 multi sport stars. You point out one population, inner city basketball players, who have very little opportunity to play anything else. These inner city athletes are all looking to go pro and spend only as you say one or two years in college then move on often NOT graduating. There only way out more often than not is basketball so that's what they do. The chance to make millions is there in hoops not in lacrosse at that level. To compare an inner city athlete to an athlete in the suburbs is ignorant in itself. If your kid is like one of the 6 kids on Duke that didn't list a second sport in their bio so be it. DO I think that a player like Kavanaugh who played junior hockey , Thompson who played hockey, Fowler a better FOGO because of wrestling and Miles who was the HS qb are better athletes because they play two sports absolutely. Better yet read last months Lacrosse USa magazine for the article where the D1 coaches talk about the plus of being a 2 sport athlete vs a lax only player. If you cant see the value of playing multi sports you are contradicting what coaches are saying in baseball, hockey, lacrosse, football........ I am sure you know better. Once again the guys from Duke and ND must all be very lucky because close to 90% of their two teams were star multi sport athletes but I guess they are wrong also.

Has nothing to do with playing two sports, all about god given athletic ability. Being a star in two sports is nothing more than evidence of that athletic ability. Like I said, your kid or mine could play 14 other sports, they'll never be able to do what Lebron does. They don't have that level of athletic ability, get it? Probably not. I give you example after example where it proves that people are at the top of their sports all over the world by playing one sport, but a few college coaches say differently and so its law to you, go figure. BTW why are you trolling through every bio of every player on Duke and ND just to try and prove me wrong with more anecdotal information?
Here's another one for you, David Beckham never played anything but soccer. In fact, he dropped out of school as a teenager and went pro at 18. Oddly, he became one the best players in the world. Imagine if he just would have played American football... Wait, a few Old School lax coaches said something so it must be true. Then they go and recruit lax only kids. I've heard the Duke coach say they've never recruited a non multi-sport athlete. Yet he has 6 lax only kids? Kind of like the UVA coach saying early recruiting has got to stop and yet they are recruiting 9th graders left and right. One more for you, UMD's graduating senior middie, Tawarrton finalist and former Ivy rookie of the year was lax only in HS. Here's something else for you to chew on, these coaches will recruit the best available player. One sport, multi-sport, 8th grade, they don't care.
Now go pay attention to the Rangers, I'm sure all those Eastern European players got to the NHL because they were playing Baseball growing up, you know to get better at hockey.