Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am a visiting lecturer in the Economics department at Georgetown. I have seen a lot of student athletes pass through and can appreciate these factors as a parent of a lacrosse player in this 2017 class:

1. Student athletes manage a course load on top of approximately 25 hours a week drained for sports. Thankfully most athletes are good time managers.
2. Assuming a student athlete manages time well, there is not a lot of it left. If that time is used to study and prepare, but difficulty remains to make grades it makes a solution nearly impossible. I believe you are greatly overestimating the value of academic support/tutoring. Yes, it is going to be there. But will it help cure the problem? If yes, then barely at best. I have been approached by many decorated student athletes from Georgetown and other strong schools on the D1 lacrosse circuit for job search help. There is nothing anyone can do to alter a bad outcome: if you graduate from a Georgetown or a UVa with a "staying eligible" GPA it cheapens out what was otherwise a great value to have a degree from a strong school.
3. If you can accept that tutoring or support are not the magic cures, then what I would suggest is commit that your kid takes 5 years for college or goes to school each Summer to finish in 4. Right there with that comment I blow up your economic spread in that a parent will pay or the student athlete will incur debt for an additional year of college at full price.

You want your son to have a degree that carries him well in life. The 2.5 student athlete club is not going to carry a kid far...even with a degree from a great school.

Sir you speak with such authority... Is that the garbage they teach in $60,000 a year schools now??? "The 2.5 student athlete club is not going to carry a kid far..." Wow, that is such an ignorant statement!!! Georgetown is a great school, that being said there is absolutely no way to monetize the achievement of a 3.5 verse that of 2.5 gpa. In the long run, I assure you it will have next to zero impact on the student 5 years down the line. I dare say that the work ethic of a student athlete combined with the networking opportunities far, far out way the 3.5 gpa a non athlete achieves. Be very certain of this fact, where one goes to school has very little impact in the business world beyond maybe, the Ivies. Getting into one of these schools is in no way some ticket to prosperity. Let's face it, 95% of the drivel spewed at these schools today is useless. (as proven by your ignorant statement ) To the poster above, let your son go to the school he "LIKES" the most. Everything else will fall into place. Advise your son to work as hard as he can, but enjoy himself too. Please also guide him that just because he went to G'town or Harvard, the real world doesn't really care all that much. You need to prepare your son that to get anywhere in life he will have work harder than he ever has before. I further assure you that right next to him in the real world is the kid who went to no where U and is willing to out work him all day everyday. The boss won't care where the degree is from, its about performance.... Kind of like the lacrosse field, imagine that! Just so we're clear, I'm a visiting professor (CEO)from the real world. Corporate America is starved for the old school values of work ethic, determination, and team work. Kids that think the world owes them something because of the school they went to will be eaten alive.

Get real Mr. CEO. That 2.5 in today's world is useless. You'll never get the opportunity to show what a "hard worker" you are because there are thousands of 3.5's and up that worked their tails off and are smarter. Your first impression with a 2.5 means your either not too smart or lazy.

Or maybe they just don't love school.