Originally Posted by Anonymous
This list of LI kids on Ivy rosters is indeed impressive. I think the point is a good one but the comparative is off. Lacrosse in Maryland is really two hotbeds. Obviously there is Baltimore County and the MIAA schools. Next there is the DC area that includes the Maryland and Northern Virginia burbs and the IAC schools (Landon, Gtown Prep, St. Stephens Agnes, etc.) and the parochial league (Gonzaga, Paul VI, etc.). If you look at the Ivy rosters again through this lens, you'll see quite a difference on some rosters, Princeton is most pronounced. Actually, the prep school with the most currently rostered players is Landon in Bethesda, MD which sits right on the Virginia border and has a lot of players from the other side of the Potomac.

I think one of the posters making something of a demographic or social difference between LI and Maryland is correct. I lived in Manhattan for a number of years and now live in Maryland. NY money is bigger and louder than Maryland. So are the parents. Yes, LI Express lunatic parents, that means you. Are Maryland people economically small time by compare? Yes. Are Maryland lacrosse players better or worse than LI players? No. Some of the best players we saw last Summer were not from either, and the best team last Summer at the most competitive tournament -- Young Gunz -- was Dukes from the Philly main line.

Md players are marketed better but much less productive at the next level.