Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Sir you speak with such authority... Is that the garbage they teach in $60,000 a year schools now??? "The 2.5 student athlete club is not going to carry a kid far..." Wow, that is such an ignorant statement!!!
Have you had a child in their sophomore, junior or senior year of college compete for on-campus interviews or internships? When you present a resume to a potenial employer, do you think a 2.5 or 3.5 GPA will be more likely to get a look? Do you believe that a recruiter attending a Georgetown Open House will be looking for an athlete's background?

Georgetown is a great school, that being said there is absolutely no way to monetize the achievement of a 3.5 verse that of 2.5 gpa.
Establishing a hard dollar value - no. Establishing that there would be more opportunities for interviews - yes.

In the long run, I assure you it will have next to zero impact on the student 5 years down the line.
Do you have students that have entered the job or graduate school markets in the last five years? There is a residual impact as the same opportunities will simply not present themselves.

I dare say that the work ethic of a student athlete combined with the networking opportunities far, far out way the 3.5 gpa a non athlete achieves.
Just as you cannot monetize the value of a 2.5 over a 3.5 GPA, you cannot assert that a sports-influenced 2.5 demonstrates a stronger work ethic. As an interviewer, you are looking for skill sets in an entry level candidate and the competition is fierce.

Be very certain of this fact, where one goes to school has very little impact in the business world beyond maybe, the Ivies.
Incorrect. You are ignoring the pull that an alumni network has in the region surrounding an institution. For example, attending UVa hoping to land a New [lacrosse] based internship is not a solid strategy.

Getting into one of these schools is in no way some ticket to prosperity. Let's face it, 95% of the drivel spewed at these schools today is useless. (as proven by your ignorant statement )
If what you say is true, the development of an 18 year old High School senior with and without college would follow the same trajectory. Clearly, that is not the case.

To the poster above, let your son go to the school he "LIKES" the most. Everything else will fall into place. Advise your son to work as hard as he can, but enjoy himself too. Please also guide him that just because he went to G'town or Harvard, the real world doesn't really care all that much.
We disagree.

You need to prepare your son that to get anywhere in life he will have work harder than he ever has before. I further assure you that right next to him in the real world is the kid who went to no where U and is willing to out work him all day everyday. The boss won't care where the degree is from, its about performance....
Agreed with the work ethic, but Nowhere U's student is less likely to get the same opportunity.

Kind of like the lacrosse field, imagine that! Just so we're clear, I'm a visiting professor (CEO)from the real world. Corporate America is starved for the old school values of work ethic, determination, and team work. Kids that think the world owes them something because of the school they went to will be eaten alive.
A credible CEO would not typically refer to another's opinion as garbage, much less associating a price tag with it. If you are a CEO from the "real world", perhaps you should be more concerned about your corporation than pontificating here on BOTC?

Cage, the assertion that a student who gets a 2.5 will not go far in life is "garbage". To say that to a parent or a kid is not only garbage, it is down right irresponsible. Has the vaunted professor performed a study over 30 plus years of individual graduates to back up his opinion? I think not.

I never said the student with higher grades wouldn't receive more opportunity immediately after graduation. I said 5 years after, there would be very little difference.

Let's be clear, as the CEO of a company I built from ZERO, I am far less concerned with where a candidate went to school than with what they achieved in the real world. I have hired many people over the years for six figure plus positions, the school they went to was never a deciding factor, nor were their grades. Further, I have had this discussion with my contemporaries, to a person, school name has very little if any impact on hiring and individual 5 plus years after graduation.

You sir, have posted on this site numerous times about your own children's academic success. Which you should be proud of. Perhaps you feel given the achievements in the classroom, they or you are owed something in life. Perhaps the academic achievements didn't quite yield the desired or anticipated results.

BTW, don't worry about my company, doing just fine and I'm semi retired in my late 40's. I come on here because my two son's love lax, as do I. Further, I will respond to whatever I want, whenever I want to. If I feel compelled to give folks a different perspective on things than that of an ill informed professor, I will.