Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
DO NOT TAKE THAT ADVISE. all due respect Cage but that is ill advised and just downright inaccurate. You are bringing in non athletic general admission statistics which I hope we all can agree DO NOT MATTER. Be hones with the coaches that are recruiting you about your studies and they will guide you through the process.
Dear Friend : My family has already done the academic/Ivy chase - twice. Both of my children (boy/girl) were academic valedictorians, sports team captains, regional athletes, All-State band participants, every honor society under the sun, and recruited by various schools. Would you like to talk about my placement career as a coach? Again, this is not about me - or my family - but if you want to challenge our advice, I thought it only fair to tell you from whence this information flows.

Expecting a 2017 graduate to already have "guaranteed admission" with 0.25-0.40 scholarships with a 3.5 GPA in non-honors classes and no SAT/ACT performance numbers is following a yellow-brick road to no where.

Attending an academic institution where your student-athlete simply cannot keep pace is a parental nightmare (wait until you get that call) and happens to be one of the top reasons why you see can't miss Long Island superstars attending institutions a thousand miles and eight hours from home as freshmen and returning to a local outfit within a short time as a sophomore.

Now, if you would like to ask a constructive question, please feel free.

Cage you might be right with regard to the fact that they might not do well when they get there, but they will get in. I know of a young man headed to UNC, wont say what year, 89 avg. No honors or ap and only has to break 1000 on the sat. Seems like your experience is in the Ivies, where academic standards are much higher. However, with the golden ticket, a player with the afore mentioned stats could get in. A recruited athlete has far more latitude with admissions than that of the average credentials of an incoming freshman non-athlete. While revenue and non-revenue sports differ, it is highly unlikely that most members of the football team and basketball team are reaching the academic standards you lay out above for those schools. With that in mind, the admissions criteria is far from concrete. It is every bit fluid and up for negotiation at every turn. If the coach really wants the kid, all the academic grids and everything else go out the window. I will agree, the student needs to then be able to do the work. In the end, that's where the rubber meets the road and all the talk about "right fit" comes into play.