Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
University of Virginia is a State School and and is considerred to be a Top 25 School.

St Johns University is a Private School and is ranked around 125.

The cost is about the same for both schools unless you are a resident of Verginia.

I think that given the choice I would select Verginia every time.
The University of Virginia is estimated to be $26,200 per year for in-state residents and $54,000 per year for non-Virginia residents. Source : University of Virginia Web Site - Estimated Cost of Attendance

St. John's University cost of attendance is $44,000 per year for commuter students and $56,000 per year for on-campus students. Source : St. John's University Web Site - Estimated Cost of Attendance

However, those are the sticker prices. St. John's University had an average discount rate in excess of 40% in 2013-2014 which placed their real tuition costs in the $25,000-$30,000 per year range. The discount rate at the University of Virginia is not nearly as high.

Given the exclusive academic choice between the two, US News and World Reports would suggest UVA every time. If those were my only two choices, I would choose similarly. That said, BOTC was trying to point out other reasons, beyond the tuition bill, that might factor into a family's decision making.

Thank you for the contribution.

Gotcha. Many many very good schools out there when the time comes I just hope my kids find a good fit.