Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this, but here it goes anyway. My son of his own accord ( i know many of you won't believe it, but oh well) has pretty much decided he wants to reclassify.

He's a 2017 on a top club team, but missed most of his high school season, started as a freshmen on a mediocre team, and has had a lower leg injury that has kept him out of most of his summer tournaments. He had an invite to Jake Reed and couldn't play and the only summer tournament he played in was a local event with no exposure so no colleges have seen him play since last fall. He is a semi-late bloomer who wasn't physically big enough (plays close and pole) to be a candidate for early recruiting, but he is a young 2017 and is now 6' 2" and still growing.

He's gotten initial interest from a couple of Patriot League schools, and reclass or not has a great shot at one of them, but in a perfect world he wanted to have all of the available options on the table that are the right academic and athletic fits.

His club coach has been advocating on his behalf anyway, but understandably college coaches want to at least see current video which he doesn't have and better yet see him play which probably won't happen this summer.

Not looking for a shoulder to cry on, and sometimes things aren't fair and you have to deal with the cards that you have been dealt. I think he should plug away through at least the fall season, and hopefully he'll be healthy enough to play at a high level and then make a decision.

The narrowing of the window of opportunity IMO is the worst thing with the early recruiting and early committing. It will be an interesting decision and not sure how I feel about it, but as an earlier poster said it isn't breaking any rules, it sure seems like at least a 1/3 to a 1/2 of the commits so far reclassed or were held back at some point.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this, but here it goes anyway. My son of his own accord ( i know many of you won't believe it, but oh well) has pretty much decided he wants to reclassify.

He's a 2017 on a top club team, but missed most of his high school season, started as a freshmen on a mediocre team, and has had a lower leg injury that has kept him out of most of his summer tournaments. He had an invite to Jake Reed and couldn't play and the only summer tournament he played in was a local event with no exposure so no colleges have seen him play since last fall. He is a semi-late bloomer who wasn't physically big enough (plays close and pole) to be a candidate for early recruiting, but he is a young 2017 and is now 6' 2" and still growing.

He's gotten initial interest from a couple of Patriot League schools, and reclass or not has a great shot at one of them, but in a perfect world he wanted to have all of the available options on the table that are the right academic and athletic fits.

His club coach has been advocating on his behalf anyway, but understandably college coaches want to at least see current video which he doesn't have and better yet see him play which probably won't happen this summer.

Not looking for a shoulder to cry on, and sometimes things aren't fair and you have to deal with the cards that you have been dealt. I think he should plug away through at least the fall season, and hopefully he'll be healthy enough to play at a high level and then make a decision.

The narrowing of the window of opportunity IMO is the worst thing with the early recruiting and early committing. It will be an interesting decision and not sure how I feel about it, but as an earlier poster said it isn't breaking any rules, it sure seems like at least a 1/3 to a 1/2 of the commits so far reclassed or were held back at some point.

What would be you rationale to the school? Did he pass all his classes? How much would holding back an academically sound ninth grade student benefit him for future studies? He still needs to be prepared academically. Then in ninth grade his friends would still be moving on AND he would still be playing the same level at high school. I know that a move like this in school is not considered reclassifying but retaining and public schools do not support this and you would need to go to an independent impartial hearing to prove your son needs to be retained for academic reasons. Or you can move to a private school where they don't care as long as you can pay the tuition and pass the classes. Your reason is your own and they will allow for it.

In the long term what is the real benefit of holding him back in school. You are not reclassifying but retaining. Is the scholarship worth it when it seems like he will be getting interest anyway?

Just for the sake of the jealousy comments my son has not committed yet but has a few choices also and he hopes to commit soon if he decides he would rather play lacrosse than his other sport.

Good luck.