Originally Posted by Anonymous
Serious question to cub lacrosse parents. Our son is a strong club player but his town team is beyond awful as He's the only one playing high club level let alone any club ball or working out in winter or playing box. Should he still play with his town team in spring as it will just slow him down and making him less aggressive. Any advice would be appreciated.

What is your alternative? I would think you want to do something while everyone else is practicing and playing. Having been in a similar situation your concern should be around development of your sons lacrosse IQ. In poor programs coaches are usually trying to babysit or teach basic catching and throwing. This in turn leads to no development of how the game is played, how to move the ball, ride, clear, cut through, get the ball to x, man up, man down, etc. Let me know if you find an alternative because we need the same.

Play with friends and have fun. Maybe try to make team mates better.

Play where you can play when you can play and have fun. If you have options with surrounding towns look at those. However, I dont think anyone can be so arrogant as to say Im too good to play with you so Im not going to play at all. Re: Less aggressive. Thats crazy. The only results I see coming from the not playing approach is diminishing his stick skills and what the other poster said about lacrosse IQ. 90% of clubs dont overlap with town so leaving little Johnny on the side looking at the rest of the town doesnt seem to make sense.

Legit question. If your program allows it - play up. That’s what we do.