Originally Posted by Anonymous
John Jay very good - yes, unbeatable -no.

They have talent but need all the other intangibles to come together to realize their full potential -

Leadership,intensity,coaching etc. will make the difference between another very good JJ team and a great one.

John Jay will represent Westchester this year.

very good talent, just way too soft to really compete
with the very top teams.

Two things have stood out to me over the last few years between these two perennial top teams. Strength of 'out of section' regular season games before the state play-offs. This year Yorktown plays Darien, Chaminade, St. Anthonys, Ridgefield & Jamesville-Dewitt. While I'm glad to see JJ picking it up a bit this year by playing Smithtown East, Manhasset, Cold Spring Harbor and Wilton. (JV plays Chaminade and St. Anthony's, but not Varsity) One could argue Yorktown may lose 3,4, or 5 of those games, but be better prepared come play-off time.
And I've had debates with others regarding the benefit of most Yorktown players playing for Ballers over the summer, versus JJ where 4-5 play for PrimeTime and the rest are scattered on other summer teams. This seems to benefit the Yorktown mid-level player more, and with that commraderie of playing as a team with the single goal of winning a State Championship every year. But where JJ is a bit 'soft', and not in a physical sense, but it's in those big game settings. (JJ had a 7 or 8 goal half-time lead over Yorktown last year when their PT stud? starts taking 20-25 yard shots on the best goalie in the section.) Yorktown wins.