Originally Posted by Anonymous
I graduated the same yr as Roy - played against him in high school and in college - was considering multiple schools but decided to go the Ivy route - I realize the recruiting landscape those days are completely different from today but agree 100% on what Roy wrote. Hard work and dedication is important - for me, the only thing I would add is passion - there comes a time that when a kid wants to get better, he has to do this on his own - can't keep having a parent push him - he has to love the game and want to get better...someone told me years ago this generally starts to happen in middle school (which is when recruiting is starting up today)...crazy that I am starting to see this with my older boy who is in 7th today...I have 4 younger boys below him

I have 3 boys and 1 girl, my daughter is a Freshman playing D1, my oldest son is being recruited as a HS Freshman and I can tell you the recruiting landscape has changed in just the last 3-4 years and it really needs to be throttled back. My oldest son hasn't played varsity yet but he should be able to decide his future? We are being told to just commit to a school and you can change your mind later. What is that teaching our kids? We told the last two coaches he will not make a decision until after summer season at the earliest. We do not want the pressure of college recruiting to ruin his HS experience.