Yes and no. What you need to understand is that college is not high school. Your "baby" is now a baby adult, and that adult needs to prepare for a very tough world. Playing sports that will not produce a lucrative contract makes no sense to me. Even with basketball and football if you're not an exceptional player you have to move on.

Now, with football and basketball, IMO is worth the gamble. I don't see it with other sports. This is magnified when you mention schools at the level of Duke, and even much further down the top 100 schools. Time is too precious when at college...social life takes up a lot time and school work amounts to a 33 hour day!

I can only base what I say on my experience with two daughters. One is an attorney at aa prestigious securities firm on Wall St., and my other daughter, a graduate of Northwestern University leads R&D at a global nuclear company. At 31 she just received her Masters in Nuclear Engineering from UNC. I don't believe the girls could have done that, and and honor a total commitment to the team. It was not a gamble we didn't want to take, and no, my kids do not take after me smile

My 2 cents.