Let me help a little....my youngest graduated Duke. The soccer team was very interested in her. I said no way will play soccer at Duke. Why? She would have had practice at 6am and again in the afternoon, plus travel during the season, and more practice and scrimmage games throughout the year. After all, the coach has to justify his annual salary.

I would also point out that the course load was intense and if she played a sport she would have to take lighter subjects.

Now, if your child has the grades to make Duke or any other high end school it should all academics. At Duke, if you are playing basketball then I say go for it, but another sport I would not. basketball at Duke may lead to a very profitable NBA contract. What lucrative contract do you see for lacrosse or soccer? I didn't see any.

Younger daughter graduated and then went to law school. College really isn't over after 4 years...think graduate school. Start saving because if you have a high academic achiever it will be expensive, but there are many grants and scholarships available for academics at all these high end Top 20 schools, and the alumni networking is second to none.