Originally Posted by Anonymous
Penn State has already redacted one money offer to a 2017 because they found a better Canadian attackman. And this is not the first time that has happened at Penn State. Maryland has done it with current HS grade kids, UNC has done it, Villanova has done it, St. Johns has done it and Georgetown has done it. Those are all the specifics begged for and there they are. Those are the ones I am aware of and the ranges have been "we offered X earlier, but now can only do this much" or "we offered X and we made a decision to add more money to returning players to keep them happy and off the transfer wagon, so come here and earn your way up and sorry about that" or "we found more talented 2017s or 2016s or...we signed two late 2015s...in your class and need to add money to keep everyone happy." This year Maryland shuffled money designated for 2016s and 2017s to get a couple late 2015 bloomers. It takes constant work to shuffle and adjust to get that back. A great program doesn't have spots for some lights out 2015? Nonsense. A kid doesn't need to be a greek god on the field as a senior 2017, he just needs to dust the competition at that point and leave a coach who needs that player no choice. They will make room if they see a kid who has developed into the player they want or need. Last year UVa subtracted from the commits till to give a 4th year walk on goalie money in his last year to reward his commitment and loyalty to the program. Tough guy wants specifics, there are some for you.

My cousin, who was fired as a first assistant at a high profile D1 non-revenue sport program, lived this life first hand. The prior poster is correct...there are a few head count sports where every guy or gal is on 100% or is a walk on, and then there is the small potatoes shuffle it up sports like men's lacrosse.

So it happens, maybe not everywhere, but it happens. A lot. And there is one very good reason why you don't hear about it: who is going to tell you that? The kid and proud daddy who had their money whacked down? I find it curious that all the 2017 dads or dads who have had a whopping data set of one kid who played or is on a roster of a D1 program become the experts. Deal with hundreds of kids and families first, and then type it up. But you can't. Again, I close by saying to my 2017 commit and yours...play fast, work hard and have some fun...like Satchel Page once said don't look back, someone is always on your tail trying to beat you. If this seems crass, then you are in for a big surprise and not a very pleasant one when your kids enters the D1 program.

You have dealt with 100s of families that have gone through this? Or was it your cousin who you claim was fired?

If all these schools were taking money away from the kids they verbally committed to, wouldn't we see lots of kids changing from one place to another every year?

If your kid was 2017 and committed early and then next year they call and say sorry kid, 50% is now 25% but we still love you, your kid would be running to every other school saying I am now free. Decided I didn't like xxx coach.

I am sorry, you are probably a decent person, but I just don't believe you or it seems I would see proof of it somewhere.

Wouldn't ty or inside lax or the ny times write an article saying the "myths of the early scholarship". Wouldn't they have included at least mention of this in the general article about the one year scholarship?

Shouldn't there be some kids screaming foul? Instead it is just you and your cousin sharing the down fall of early recruiting on an anonymous web?