I also worked hard and can pay the tuition and as such there is no financial aid or discount when it comes to college--(that said, my oldest did receive both lax money and academic money for about half). However, rather than feel sorry for myself and begrudge some kid the opportunity to go to school with the help of financial aid, I feel blessed and lucky to be in the position I am in.

So for the jackwagon who is bitching about the fact that some kids are getting for free what he has to pay for, grow up. If you are as successful as you claim to be, then you know that half of life is luck. Put yourself in the best position to succeed and then work hard and hope for the best.

I know plenty of geniuses that lost it all when Bear, and Lehman tanked, through no fault of their own. I know plenty of very well paid senior managers that are where they are because a chance they took paid off.

So stop patting yourself on the back and thank god you have the ability to pay out of pocket and give your kid the best possible chance to put him/her in a position to also be successful/lucky...