Originally Posted by Anonymous
Reclassification - was designed for the underdeveloped child that barely missed the cut off date - so her or she does NOT have sit out for safety concerns...

Simple- that's it!!

Reclassification was NEVER intended to provide a venue for a midyear birthday player to leverage an extra year of maturity to dominate younger, smaller boys kids in competitive events for D1 aspirations.

From a Coach's prospective - I will discount a Reclassified player's performance when evaluating and projecting talent levels...
Does that make sense??

Great post! This is exactly where my son falls. He is a 2017 and he is still 14 years old until the end of this month. All of you folks can bury your head in the sand all you want but there are 17 year old 2017's running around out there right now. My son was recruited by a highly regarded prep school this past summer. It wasnt even a question whether or not he was going to repeat the grade, it was understood. His club coach (who was a D1 college coach) recommended it and in no uncertain terms told me that D1 coaches "love" reclassified kids and encourage reclassifying whenever possible. So my son will be attending this prep school next fall and repeating the grade and becoming a 2018. I dont consider this cheating in any shape or form. IMO I am just correcting a mistake I made by sending him to kindergarten instead of holding him back like most parents do. My son is a very good 2017, but because of his size and physical maturity, he is definitely behind the 8 ball when it comes to recruiting. He is playing with a 2018 club team and he is still one of the younger kids on the team, most of them are already 15. So to all of you throwing the "cheating" word around, every case is different. More importantly, do a little research and look at D1 rosters and look at the birthdays and look at the schools they come from. An extremely large majority of D1 kids are reclassified and come from Prep schools. Its just reality and its here to stay. In my sons case I believe its going to help him get into a much better college than he would have been able to get into and thats the goal here isnt it?

Reality vs perception.

Tough call. Reality it is cheating. Perception you're ok with it.

Reality you are holding him back a grade to gain an advantage on the sports fields to gain an otherwise advantage getting into a better school. We understand just admit you are cheating. Look at the definition of cheating.

Now you can sometimes get away with cheating. And in life unless you are called out for your miscues you are barely remorseful. Some of us may have cheated on a test or two and in the end it helped us.

It is the ole the ends justifies the means. You don't need to justify it to anyone, you've decided to do it.

Understood, however I disagree. Again, I would say I am correcting my original mistake of not keeping him back when he was younger. Additionally, he is not gaining any advantage, we are simply leveling the odds for him, because as I stated in my earlier post, he will still be young for a 2018. He is not the kind of kid that will dominate at any level, he is a smart, tough, hardworking lacrosse player. Academically, he is a good student, maintaining a 3.5 in all honors courses. Going to a prep school is going to benefit him the most academically, which again is the point of all this. Im not justifying, rather explaining and sharing my particular case with everyone.

Thanks for sharing, but your case is really the exception in the controversy of reclassification and doesn't fit the profile of what angers opponents of the method.

You need to clarify month of birth please? true 2018 are born in 2000, so how is your late 1999 birthdate kid young for 2018?

You said he was young for 2018? That can only be possible if the rest of the kids on that club also reclassed and as such you felt some pressure? Did they tell you his chances of d-1 were better if he reclassed? It is all about you wanting him to play d-1 at whatever cost...let's not feel sorry for ourselves please...

Be careful where you send him to prep school. If its an all boys school it will be a PG factory and he'll never see the field and you'll be wasting your money.