Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous

8th grade (even sometimes 7th grade) student may take a SUBJECT SAT if they are in accelerated classes for math and science.

Just been through this process. Committing to admissions process at ivy is same as a verbal commitment at non ivy. Basically the coach does his due diligence with regard to character, academics, skill. Then based on that, he takes a calculated chance on the player- a leap of faith. If the kid doesn't hold up to coaches expected standards, the kid is out of luck.

The two are not the same. The scholarship schools are offering you a grant-in-aid scholarship The Ivies are offering to "support the application" of your son through the process. One is an economic deal and one is not. At scholarship schools coaches are given an abundance of flexibility with their "spots"...in other words, if you meet whatever minimal standards your kid is admitted. At an Ivy, I'd be more suspect that Murphy or others are out of synch with their own admissions officers who won't roll over like at scholarship schools. Diligence on the academics of an 8th grader?!? Whatever, I will assume the coaches do that, however hollow that is given NO DATA. The real question in play is, are Murphy, et al, in synch with their own administrators? Ty Xanders redacted his tribal ritual tweets about the 2018 kid who committed to UPenn last night. Hey, congrats to the family and the kid. But I do suspect at a level there will be a spanking into an order. Go ahead and offer spots to 6th graders for all we care, just don't confirm it for public consumption. Which some Ivy coaches are obviously doing to keep up with Joneses or UNCs, but at some risks I would guess.