I don't understand the idea of doing a PG year to get your grades up. What's the guarantee that will make a difference? First, one more year is one out of 5 high school years. Even if the kid pulled a 3.5 in his PG year, why would that wash away the 2.3 he pulled in his first 4 years? Secondly, there is no guarantee that the kid will do well academically in their PG year - he might find it very hard and pull another 2.3. Then what? Bottom line - I think the PG year to get your grades up is a sham. The real reason for the PG year is for the colleges to put the kid in a holding pattern on someone else's dime rather than redshirt him or carry him on the roster waiting for a senior ahead of him to graduate. Bam. [/quote]

I went to boarding school and you could not be more wrong in terms of the PG year. It is for sports ringers who didn't meet the academic standards at schools, usually Canadian kids who are slotted to go to Cornell or another Ivy. The unwritten rule is go to a NE prep school as a boarder for a year, and the admissions office happy. If they flunk out it does not work out, but those PGs usually pull through and get to their destinations after a finishing year. Maybe it is a roster spot parking lot for some lacrosse players, but to be honest those kids should just go to the college and redshirt as a practice player for a year. The PG boarding year is not what you noted in most sports instances...it is purely for knuckleheads who need to get academics pulled up.