You ever hear the expression "You missed the boat" If you get a few offers then your son needs to make a decision if not those offers disappear because the recruiting budget is only so big if you want money. If money isnt a factor any coach would love to take a player and not pay because he has nothing to lose its win/win. Hopefully the kid is good enough and the coach will pay some down the road, but like I mentioned if money is not a factor you could take as much time as your child needs. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My two cents:

As a parent of a 2017 who just went through this summer with the added stress of "getting looked at" I have come to a few conclusions, they may be right or maybe wrong but they are all IMHO:

It seems that a good portion of the kids that are getting recruited are kids that have some connection to the schools they are committing to. IE, parents are alums, sibling attends, etc. Nothing wrong with this of course but it is a factor.

The whole thing seems to be a bit overhyped. As of now there are roughly 100 2017 commits. Id like to see the data on the amount of 2016 kids committed at the same time last year, but I would guess its not far off.

Lot of waste of time money grabs out there. Lot of "prospect days" and "clinics" and "camps" that profess to be showcases. We all know what the real showcases are and unless your son is specifically requested at a college prospect day, save your time and money.

I think the question in my mind is not "can" my son commit, but "should" my son commit. I dont know about most of your 2017's, but mine cant make up his mind what he wants for breakfast, nevermind what college he wants to go to. I think this speaks to where you think your son is at, if you think hes ready to make that sort of life changing decision, then so be it.

My son was at a very well attended college recruiting showcase camp over the summer where he made the all star team. The director of the camp spoke to all the all star kids and told them, and I quote "just relax, go out and have fun, the fact is that 70 percent of college lacrosse players get recruited going into their senior years" I think that speaks for itself.

In closing, to me unless your kid has some connection to the university, or hes a freak of nature, or older and more mature, or he has a great day at a showcase and draws attention, these next two years should be about getting better, getting on the radar of the schools hes interested in and getting ready to make the most important decision of his life.

To all those parents whose 2017 son has committed I say congratulations and best of luck, and to the rest of us wallowing in uncertainty and stress I say enjoy the ride, these are the best times of your life with your son, treasure every minute of it, because before you know it'll be all over.