Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous

"etiology of the myopic position"

since I played lacrosse in college I have no idea what this means. quite certain my frat boys friends who spent their afternoons playing foosball and video games wouldn't either. I would have been with them had I not had something more purposeful to attend. I've had 2 jobs over the years that were directly attributable to lacrosse connections -- specifically that all important 1st one. Lacrosse connections have helped in various business deals. Today show did a segment this morning on MIT football team. starting QB studying to be rocket scientist and back-up has played violin at Carnegie Hall. So maybe you can be a serious student and athlete. Also I met my beautiful wife because she was on the woman's team. College sports are not for everyone but those of us with real passion for our sport have no regrets.

There is no maybe about it...

Had you and the frat brothers cared to take a page from the MIT guys; then perhaps the meaning would not have been lost on you. A dual major in foosball and video games and a minor in beer typically relegate the standard D1 athlete to a much more narrow set of options if they actually manage to graduate. (The 6 year plan will likely come into play for many; minimizing any potential financial advantage they may have received).

While having the chance to reach out to the alumni support system with any school is a
Great concept; many again don't get to that level and the opportunity is negligible in those cases.

The students who can integrate and associate wth the entire student body will far exceed the success of those who rather limit their associations to small populations of frats and teams.

You state your opinions as fact without any evidence supporting your "factual statements". For someone who comes off as having a superior intellect, that shreds your credibility.

I love this line "integrate and associate with the entire student body". Really? What university did you go to? Everyone finds a clique in large social situations; it's human nature. For athletes, it's their team and perhaps a few or many others outside of their team if the person is social and involved. To say that non-athlete cliques definitely produce better positive networks is ignorant at best. [/quote]

Nice try at a weak retort. Unsubstantiated and fueled by a completely emotional knee jerk response. Clearly the cleat must have fit? Statistically in a purely empirical observation; one would have to agree that the athletic cliques represent an extreme minority in any large school and are then further subdivided by their individual sports and then smaller associations internally within each sport thereby reducing said potential network to insignificant levels except for those few who may end up in the same field, ironically possibly competing against each other for jobs and or connections and favors.

The student body at large, however, will form broader and more diverse associations that are not limited by the social fences that athletic teams tend to build around themselves while placing themselves on pedestals. They not only keep others out, but also deny themselves access to vast numbers of potential connections within said student body.

To deny that these barriers exist would be pure ignorance on your part and expected based on your narrow perspectives.

As a former nationally ranked D1 athlete; I speak from personal observations and experiences.