Originally Posted by Anonymous
Serious question. Why can't D3 schools be on the same "verbal" timetable as D1 schools? It seems like players don't verbally commit to D3s until Senior year. Why not junior year or sophomore year. The fact that there is no athletic scholarship money should not impact the ability for D3 coaches and recruits to have a verbal agreement. Thoughts?

Most kids aren't going to agree to a D3 until D1 options are off the table.

Excellent educational opportunities in D3. Tremendous amount of academic and merit money available to good players with decent grades. Think 30-40% percent off a $55-60k bill. As long as he maintains minimal academic levels that money stays in place for ALL FOUR years! Even if he decides to give up lacrosse!

I completely agree, that said, my son as a solid GPA and offers from 2 D1 programs, one top 5, the other top 20. We wanted him to see some other schools that were interesting to him for academics. He emailed coaches at the D3, and his HS coach called and could not get meetings with 2 of the 3 D3 programs he contacted, the coaches said they didn't waste time with sophomores. It surprised me that the coaches were that short-sighted, as my son based his final decision on academics and his future, and ended up verbaling to the lower ranked lacrosse program because it is a much better fit for his career plans. I think he was turned off by the coaches who refused to spend half an hour showing him athletic facilities (we made it clear we didn't expect them to spend time on a full tour). In the end his choice was a good one, and I think a better fit than the other schools, but we didn't know that until we visited them.

D3 schools aren't as aggressive recruiting wise because they wait to see what type of grades players have. They want proof that a player will satisfy the schools admissions criteria.
Why would this be different for D3 vs D1? Sounds like D1s don't care about grades?